View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
The original Parallax had a strong tendency to overcharge batteries, basically "boiling them to death" at a young age.

Many versions of the subsequent WFCO charges have had a strong tendency to leave batteries undercharged (a bad thing for Lead-Acid batteries, and also reducing the amount of stored power available for your use).

Although I have bought an excellent "WildKat" upgrade, which could do a nearly perfect job with lead acid battery types, I'm not entirely please with the way it handles Lithium batteries. https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-465...te-_p_677.html. I might be doing another upgrade into a fully programmable "Victron" converter, with a small issue of having to implement my own exhaust fan for when it gets overly warm.

But I would also have to settle for 30A maximum charging current, down from the 55-60A which the WildKat can provide. (That would be a show-stopper for a person who chargers batteries from a generator, because it basically doubles the charging time.) Since I don't use any large 12-VDC appliances when I'm plugged in, and have no generator, that is irrelevant for me - but a VERY big deal for others.

Excellent write up. Appreciate your expierience here. I have seen battery overcharge protection devices for RVs. Wouldn't that work with the Parallax converters to protect batteries?
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote