View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Let me answer (on (behalf of Jim, and others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Interesting... i might give the patio lights a go and see. May I ask, you state the converter was replaced. Was there an issue with it or were you just upgrading?

Why did you change your converter if you don't mind me asking?
The original Parallax had a strong tendency to overcharge batteries, basically "boiling them to death" at a young age.

Many versions of the subsequent WFCO charges have had a strong tendency to leave batteries undercharged (a bad thing for Lead-Acid batteries, and also reducing the amount of stored power available for your use).

Although I have bought an excellent "WildKat" upgrade, which could do a nearly perfect job with lead acid battery types, I'm not entirely please with the way it handles Lithium batteries. https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-465...te-_p_677.html. I might be doing another upgrade into a fully programmable "Victron" converter, with a small issue of having to implement my own exhaust fan for when it gets overly warm.

But I would also have to settle for 30A maximum charging current, down from the 55-60A which the WildKat can provide. (That would be a show-stopper for a person who chargers batteries from a generator, because it basically doubles the charging time.) Since I don't use any large 12-VDC appliances when I'm plugged in, and have no generator, that is irrelevant for me - but a VERY big deal for others.