View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Nice to have you in the forum! 12 volts systems are DC (Direct Current) The lights you have chosen are, IMO great replacements/add-ons.

Post pictures when you are done to show off!

Kory
Thanks Kory,
Just needed a check because someone at boogie lights said something funny to me that did not make much sense. They stated that I might have a 12v AC system and not DC. I always knew 12V to be DC.

Anyhow, if I go through with it I will def. post pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As Kory says, 12-volt systems operate from a battery, which is always DC.

One thing to consider is the converter installed in your TM. In more or less the time frame you are talking about, TM used converters from Magnetek, aka Parallax As I recall, the model numbers were in the 6300 or 7300 series. These early converters had a couple of issues. One of them was that the DC output - the one that powers most of the circuits in the TM, including lights - was unfiltered. Short but significant over-voltages were common. Incandescent lights don't care about these short transients, but LEDs are (or were) sensitive to them. Early burnout of LEDs was a common result.

If you don't have a Magnetek or Parallax converter, it is not an issue. And it is possible that LEDs are over-voltage-protected these days - early ones were not.

Just something to think about.

Bill
Awe shucks Bill I think I have one of the units you mention. I was hoping to get a little more light out there but seems like it's going to be a harder call than just checking the circuit for total amps. I dont want to have to switch out LED units as much as I have to switch out bulbs.

Thanks for your insight.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote