View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Mike

I'm also in the new car shopping business and have been toying with waiting a year and going diesel. I've concluded the only justifcation is if you drive high mileage, plan to burn used cooking oil or just want to use fewer gallons of fuel regardless of cost. I have even read that our oil companies may be exporting diesel fuel because of our weak $ and high demand on the world market. The problem, as everyone knows, is that China, India and other former third-world countries are now prosperious enough to own cars and are competing with us for the limited supply of oil from traditional sources. At some price-point, whether it's $5 or $20 per gallon, other sources such as the oil shale in our western states will be viable -- but we may not like it.

But to answer your specific question, I've read every artical I could find on the internet and nobody is reckless enough to guess where it is all going. Maybe we'll know more after the super-low-sulfer diesel has been out for a year or two and things settle down. Otherwise it's just a personal choice.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote