Thread: WDH Question
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With only a couple exceptions that I can think of, the swing-away hitch has not been a problem for anyone. The fact that you have one is almost irrelevant to the choice of WDH. The only problem I recall was a specific model of a Curt hitch, in which the length of the springbar was just exactly wrong. The tip of the springbar, and thus the location of the lift hook bracket, ended up right at the swing-tongue's hinge. The lift hook has to be directly above the tip of the springbar, of course, but the owner was able to replace his bars with ones of different length. So if you are buying a WDH locally, just measure the length of the springbar, figure out where the tip will end up, and you should be good to go.

If you are buying online, you can't premeasure, of course. I think there is info on this board about the length of the bars that various people have used, and the specific WDH models that people have used. My TM is in storage at the moment, so I can't measure. However, my notes say it is a Reese 54917 hitch bar and a Reese 54944 trunnion-style ballmount with dual-cam springbars (a function which I don't use). If you rummage around the Reese website, this may answer your question. And that reminds me. With a swing tongue, you won't be able to use a friction sway control - which is great, because you don't want to use a friction sway control!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote