Thread: Gas Struts
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #49
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default The issues with the lilft bar mounts.

On the strut, I have looked for a "flat" 10mm ball mount plate, with the 10m ball rising vertical from the plate body on a short post. I found a few, but they all seem to be made of very thin metal, 14-AWG and even less. With very high forces trying to push the ball sideways, the ball mount post likely twists the thin "flat" plate, becoming non-vertical at the pass-through joint.

I instead bought a single through-the-lift bar "post" for each strut mounting. These need to go through the lift bar (the "thickness", slightly less than 3/4 inch) to be bolted in the inside.

But the inside and outside thin metal "width" pieces of the lift bars are likely to be bent and even cut by the shanks of the screws which pierce them. If I had been able to buy 10mm ball mount posts with 1-1/4" shank length, I could have added small 1/8" thick metal plates to the inside and outside surfaces of the bar "width". The plates would be pierced by more "through" screws, spreading the strut's lifting force to a larger number of screw holes.

But the nut and washers, added to the lift bar thickness, will consume nearly all of the 1.0" shank length which is available. I'll wait and see, whether I might be able to squeeze one or two thinner plates when the shanks arrive, and I begin to drill holes. The outside plate, if thick enough, might be able to replace the washer under the bolt head, but I'll still need a lock washer under the nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift bar 10mm mounting post.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	21791