Thread: Durability.
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
rjohn60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crious in Gander View Post
Seriously though my big issue now is will my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3 liter be able to tow this rig? Would it be best to get the towing package installed, and/or anything else, upgrade suspension maybe ?As I mentioned earlier, the hills here are exactly that, some steep but none could be classed as really large. Our province is big, in fact not a lot smaller then Texas in square miles but no high mountains. We will only be travelling to parks where there is full service, and that is usually just off our highway. the only problem is our highway is a bit rough in some spots as I addressed earlier. I suspect I would have to stick with the 2600 & 2700 series models but that would be sufficient anyway.
Rough roads are going to cause vibrations and loosening of "stuff" no matter how well made. I suspect you will be quite disappointed in the 3.3 liter engine in your Caravan, but if you go with the smaller units it may be sufficient. You will definitely need the towing package with a 7 pin electrical plug, transmission cooler, and electric brake controller. Your province may require towing mirrows for your tv, but even if it doesn't they are a good safety addition. I pull my 3024K with a Chevy Express Hitop 5.7 liter engine. The van itself is quite heavy, but I sometimes forget the Trailmanor is behind me, unless I'm stopping or going uphill. It pulled quite easily up a 7% grade in the Appalachians at 50 mph and could have gone faster if the curves weren't so sharp. I don't think a 3.3 liter would have been nearly as effective.

Nevertheless, you will be happy with the Trailmanor. My wife, who doesn't care for the great outdoors, after one night in the Trailmanor said, "I like camping!"