View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I struggled over finding a good grill setup for awhile, first trying to do what you want in not carrying an extra tank. I have a Weber Baby Q. I did not want to carry a zillion disposable propane bottles, not only for safety sake, but also because they are pricey and not environmentally friendly.

Next I investigated tying into the house propane line. As Scott pointed out, you need high pressure LP at the grill, and there is only low pressure on the TM after the regulator. So here, the options were:

1) remove the regulator from the Weber, and hope the low pressure from the TM was a good match for the grill without the regulator. Maybe it would work, maybe not. And then I would permanently loose the ability to use a disposable cylinder on the grill, which I might do if we did a day trip to a park, beach, etc.

2) tie into the TM propane line BEFORE the regulator. This requires a tee-adapter: 2 sides of the tee on male Acme threads, and 1 side has a female nut. You will not find such a beast commercially, so you have to make one yourself, and the parts are not cheap at $75. Using this method, I still have to use a long hose to get to the grill AND even then, I still will be relatively close to the TM.

I did neither of those options. Didn't want to mess with #1, and didn't do #2 because a) I didn't want to trip over a propane line, which might ruin dinner AND start a fire; and b) I didn't want to be forced to cook near the TM. Lots of times, like last weekend, the picnic table and fire ring was a good 100 feet from the TM, and that's where I wanted to be. Wouldn't have been possible.

Ultimately, I bought a 4.25 lb portable propane tank, and stainless carrier for it, and had 2 bars of steel welded under the TM tongue to hold the tank. Works like a charm, and I could not be happier.

I also made the Acme nut tee I described above, so I can now use my portable propane stove and grill at the same time. Perfect setup, and I wouldn't do it any differently if I did it all over.

Pics are attached.

You can read more about carrying a portable propane tank here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7935

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060184 (Custom).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	4393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8923 (Custom).JPG
Views:	125