View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
P and B

Ian,

There are many posts on the "workings" of the Thetford toilet in the TM. Briefly, it's the "recirculating" type. The same types are used on airplanes.

Basically, there's a filter that separates solids from fluids. The fluids, combined with the toilet chemicals, are used to "flush" the toilet. The actual waste is held in the toilet like a porta potty but this toilet has a drain system to the outside so it is emptied in the same manner that a toilet with and external holding tank would (e.g., dumb the toilet, close the valve and then dump the gray tank).

The major complaints you will hear concern the smell. I only smell the chemicals and they aren't objectionable. Others prefer a tank based system as a result. The TM toilet uses less water. I've had both types and I think that as long as the seals in the toilet are OK, the recirculating type works pretty well (although I have to qualify this by saying I've only been a TM owner since last fall).

As far as never having seen one, I think you're in for a treat. It's well engineered and is indeed very light. I suspect that, in the future, RV manufacturers will be emulating TM's techniques to lighten things up while maintaining all of the necessary "glamping" accessories.

Good luck and let us all know your impressions.

Phil