View Single Post
Old 06-26-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Caution to the wind -I did it!

[quote author=ess2 link=board=23;threadid=2059;start=msg14448#msg1444 8 date=1088303194]
I have had some doubts about TM QA but this unit is top notch. It was made in May 04 so maybe QA is alive . We drove from Ala to Conyers, Ga. to get it in my 03 Tundra on CC @73 mph I got 20.6 mpg going & 15 mpg @ 70 to 75 (up & dwn hills) by foot control.on the return. At times I ran it to 80 with great control . Had to take it out of o/d a few times which put rpms at 3K and eats gas! The people at "Super 1 " are named right! They did a super job in preparing & walk thru demo. I used Ed Felker 's new RV acceptance insp. list & found it priceless. Thanks Ed. Jason Crosby was very knowledgeable & helpful in everyway from open up through test drive @ Super 1. Everything operated correctly even to the infamous table leg latch. Works every time!! We hope to head out soon to Alaska. Thanks again for all the great info on this cite!
[/quote]

Congrats on the new trailer. As for towing with the Tundra, DO NOT TOW IN OVERDRIVE!!!!!!!!!! I am a moderator on the Engine & DriveTrain forums at TundraSolutions.com and there are literally dozens of very sad posts from folks who've towed using Overdrive with this truck. The problem is the planetary gearset (which is used in OD) is simply not up to the task of towing...it will sooner or later "grenade" causing total destruction of the transmission's innards (most likely in some dark and lonely place). Yes, the truck's mileage will drop down to around 13 to 14 when towing a TM with OD off (that's what I get even in the Colorado mountains) but losing 1 to 2 mpg is not, IMHO, worth taking a risk with your transmission. The good news is the Tundra's transmission on the '03s and later is very strong and reliable when OD is turned off.

I also strongly recommend slowing down when towing to 70 mph (or even better, more like 65 mph). There are plenty of indications on this forum (and the RV.NET forums) that trailer tires simply don't hold up well when you run much over 65 to 70 mph...you run a much higher risk of either a tread separation or a blowout Yes, the trailer is very stable at 75 to 80 but your tires aren't designed to run at that speed. IIRC, the website of one of the trailer tire makers (it may be Goodyear) states that 65 mph is the maximum sustained speed that a trailer tire should be run at.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote