View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I won't try to speak for Chris, because I don't know nearly enough about the board software and the IT end of things. I know that when I first joined the board many (MANY!) years ago, I asked for changes, too. Chris patiently explained to me some of the Admin facts of life.

Chris doesn't write the board software. He buys a package of software called vBulletin, made specifically for on line discussion boards. That is what some of our Sponsor fees go for - the cost of the software. The software package will do a lot of stuff, but it won't do everything. And you can't modify it to do new stuff, because if you do, you lose the warranty and the tech support for the package. Not good.

Keeping a board up and running is sometimes tricky, as we have seen in the last few weeks. Doing it without tech support or validated manuals would be a nightmare. So my guess - I may be wrong, so there is no reason not to ask - is that Chris will not be able to implement the suggestion, no matter what its merits might be.

Just my thoughts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote