Thread: Spare Tire Rack
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
revmrbill

Default 3023 tire rack solved

revmrbill
Site Sponsor Join Date: Oct 2003

3023 tire rack solved

I called TM and Ed went right out to the factory to check and came back with the answer that they do not put any type of film on the galvanized pipes, and according to the mfg process it should not be doing what it is doing and said for me to lubricate it with a non sticky grease.

So after I got home from work today I went out to the TM and started taking the spare tire holder apart and because the tubes were bent I had a heck of a time getting the rack off. After I got it off I used the galvanized tubes in reverse to see what was going on, and lo and behold I think the problem is solved.

On one side of the tire rack the galv tube would only go in about 26" before it encountered an obstruction, the other side slide in a full 48" even with a bow in it.

So I took the one that went in short and coated it with some heavy grease and pushed it in until it stopped at the obstruction and then had to force it the rest of the way.

When I took it out, the grease showed two perfect straight lines about 1/4 " apart that started at the 26" mark, this happens to be the spot where the brace for the tire is welded and where the tire is bolted on.

I began looking at the tire rack to see what might be causing the obstruction and as I was looking at the weld on the short side I saw where the weld had blown thru the black tubing at approx 26" which was causing the obstruction.

I called Ed back at TM and explained the situation to him and he conferred with mfg and agreed that this is probably what the problem is and he took all my pertinent information model, serial number etc and told me he could do the fix in one of two ways ship a NEW Spare Tire rack to my dealer (800 miles away) or ship it to me if I felt comfortable intalling it. I told him it would not be a problem for me to instal(since I already took it apart). He then said ok it will be in UPS tomorrow after they double checked the new one to make sure there is no problem and then apologized for the problem.

WOW!!!! What a GREAT COMPANY to work with, I thanked him and Trailmanor for looking after their customers.

I am going to post this in a thread with some pictures in hopes that this will help others who may experience the same problem

(By the way the stuff that was scraping off the Galvanized tubes was glue and tape from where they receive them in a bundle and apparently they were not cleaned before they were cut and drilled.)