View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default DanSTL: photo 'IMG_0080.jpeg' looks important (in deciding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSTL View Post
Almost replaced (ran out of time) the anode rod tonight on new to me TM ahead of maiden voyage next weekend (obvious now PO never changed) and found small leak at back of water heater that appears to have been present for some time based on assessment of floor. Now looking at amount of rust at water supply lines and anode, does this water heater look like a definite goner or is it possible the leak is just at the anode rod and this rust is just surface rust and normal ?
Your first photo shows heavy rust including and surrounding the anode rod socket, but you second photo (i'm not sure of the angle in this shot) shows something, the sheet metal rusted heavily rusted on the outside of the anode rod socket too. Is it rusted all the way through, towards the "top" of the holding flange in your photo? That would be bad, although the seal of the socket with the tank interior might still be unaffected.

What's going on with the rear bottom of tank (hidden by foam) is also an issue. I'd peel away a bit of that foam, along with any additional insulation (towards the right side of the picture- in order to and check for rust damage through the bottom of the tank body, before considering to be possibly usable in even a short trip.

Even if it can be pressurized after a new anode rod, the tank is probably near end-of-life from poor maintenance. I'd replace it.