View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #34
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Another $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
If the plastic is really shiny, it isn't polyethylene. It's more than likely good old fashion Plexiglas. It has the same characteristics as F/G (for painting).

I would sand it with 180g paper, put a coat of epoxy primer on it (allow primer to dry 24 hours), quick-sand it with 220G paper then a coat or 2 of LP Marine paint (wet-on-wet). It will protect that panel for 20 years and look great. It can be done with a roller. If you leave the plexi exposed to the Sun, I give it 5 years before it starts cracking (unless you cover the trailer).
Without knowing what the material is, what it's been coated with, or whether it already has appropriate solar stabilizers, you can't possibly know whether it needs to be painted or what to paint it with if it did.

This might have been a great idea for a boat or a 1995 model that needs maintenance, but this one sounds like a really bad idea to me. Wouldn't it be a better idea to just leave this alone and see how the factory repair does, considering that it's always a good idea to keep new vehicles and their factory fixes in a condition where you could ask the factory to work on them again if you want them to?
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote