View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
Hi All,

Lately, there has been alot of talk about WDH setups.I have been following these threads and have started to wonder if mine is setup right.

I have a 2010 3023 w/ electric tongue jack,dual 6 volt batteries and dual 20 pound propane tanks.I tow it with a 2005 Tundra (see signature below) and I am running 1000 LB max. tongue weight Eaz-Lift round spring bars.

This setup has not caused any failures to date.The TM tires are wearing pretty well and the truck and trailer sit pretty level when hooked up and loaded. The ride quality seems OK on normal roads with some irregularities.However,I do notice a harsh banging sound coming from the trailer when going over SPEED BUMPS at a slow speed.Could this be caused by too heavy of a WDH? Would I benefit by downsizing to 750 LB spring bars?Will lighter bars flex more creating a better ride and better WDH performance?

I do not know my actual TM tongue weight.The dry tongue weight is supposedly 409 pounds.It seems very heavy as my trucks rear springs are just shy of 2" from being on the bump stops while connected without the WDH and no cargo in the bed.So, a WDH is a MUST on my truck.

Any and all input will be appreciated!
It's never a bad idea to check the mounting bolts for your hitch receiver for tightness. A speed bump can flex the components, possibly enough for the clunk sound you're talking about to be the hitch swinging up and down on the pin in the hitch receiver. A big speed bump might also make you bottom out (make sure the trailer jack is retracted above the hitch bars!). However, the only way to know exactly what you tow is to take it to the truck scale and get the axle weights with and without the WDH, And another one with just the tow vehicle. Then we can talk about any loading problems in the context of real information.

The 3023 with 15" tires and a 5000# axle has a huge carrying capacity that the 2720 doesn't have with 14" tires and a 3500#axle, where a heavily loaded trailer may have a more limited ability to absorb additional loads from the WDH without exceeding the trailer axle weight rating. The answer for that should be to reduce the load in a 2720 trailer if it's overloaded, or converting from 14" to 15" tires which have higher load ratings. With the 3023, you have a long way to go before axle or tire capacity is an issue.

My WDH with its 1000# bars adds less than 100# on the trailer axle. If some action of the trailer multiplied the WDH load by 5, you'd still be well within the trailer axle ratings for a static load, let alone the dynamic loads which any manufacturer would reasonably expect to be much higher.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote