Thread: leak question
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Shane,

I'll be replacing the wood strips that the bag seals are stapled to later this month. I'll try to take some pictures of that replacement process. Some one else took some good pictures of the bag seal replacement process, but I don't have the link here. I'll look for that one later.

I'm not planning on replacing the seal material itself at this point. The material appears in good shape. I might replace the foam, but I'm not sure where I will be able to source the foam, or what shape to cut it.

So far, I've determined that the wood strip replacement needs to be 1" x 1.5". I'm planning on using vinyl wood stock, the stuff available for window trim.

Interesting tidbit I've come across. I was planning on gluing the vinyl strips to the aluminum sides with a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla glue. I just learned that it expands and releases CO2. Because neither the aluminum nor the vinyl inserts are porous, this may present a problem for the polyurethane glue. I have a choice to either use treated 1" stock wood, which would probably last another 10-20 years, or use a different glue.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote