View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
pbuck1

Hey Rick, What a great subject for debate: should we count the TV load for WDH? Here's my 2 cents.
I'm not sure its valid to count the TV trunk contents. That weight is not taken via the hitch components, or more importantly, by the Class III receiver. It's the receiver which is "twisted" by the WDH bars against the TV frame to redistribute the tongue weight. It's probably too much to ask of the WDH to try to compensate for other weights which are not at the tongue.
And if we count TV contents, where do we stop? What about the people in the car? A 200lb friend or two in the back seat just forward of the rear axle but far from the front axle, would really change things, too.

I think you will be in more trouble if you get 1000lb bars and try to adjust them to offset all 700+lbs (just think of that twisting force on your receiver/frame) than if you just get the 750lb bars and offset the tongue weight by a few hundred pounds less which is all that's required to get weight and traction back on the TV's front wheels.

Paul