View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't think there has been a problem with the 15-inch Marathons. The problems that I am aware of have been with the 14-inch Marathons, probably because the weight of the TM is close to their weight rating. The 15" tires have more reserve weight-carrying capacity.

As for tire sizes, the "LT" designation means "Light Truck". The "ST" designation means "Special Trailer". There are apparently differences in the tire construction, especially in the sidewall, that make ST tires a better choice for trailers. LT tires are not as good in this application - though by no means forbidden.

As for grease, let me add that the Dexter Axle web site says that the grease container MUST say NLGI #2 on it somewhere. NLGI is the organization that sets the standards for various kinds of greases, and you will find grease cartridges with several different NLGI ratings. Grease that is labelled NLGI #1-1/2 is not lower quality grease - it is different grease, intended for a different application.

My advice is to work with the grease cartridges, not bulk grease. I have a mini-grease gun (the barrel is about 6 inches long) which takes (not surprisingly) mini cartridges. I find this easier to carry than a full-size gun, but everyone has their own preferences.

The job is not hard, but it is messy. I suggest your wear old clothes, have an entire roll of paper towels within easy reach, and a package of Q-tips to mop the old grease out of the bearing cap as it oozes out of the fitting. Do NOT try to wipe out the old grease with your finger unless you also have a box of Band-Aids at hand - the sheet metal cap is sharp!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote