View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Follow-up to my amplified radio antenna:

Spring has arrived – time to tackle the non-functioning amplified radio antenna.

Yesterday my son helped me bypass the original amplified radio antenna with the replacement. Sure enough, the replacement worked. The red indicator light activated and the radio pulled in many FM stations.

The process of replacing the existing antenna was a bit of a challenge. Once the wire bundle in the upper shell support arm was accessed, the webbing had to be moved down and out of the way. The webbing was secured at the base of the wire bundle with electrical tape. The tape was removed. The upper end of the webbing goes into the base of the bag seal, next to the AC power cord for the upper shell. About an inch into the bag seal is another band of electrical tape. Although much harder to accomplish, it also needs to be removed.

Disconnect the ground wire to the existing antenna head. Cut the OEM RF cable about 10 inches from the antenna head. Securely attach the replacement antenna RF cable and use the OEM cable as a pull. Pop open the rectangular (nearly flat) channel closest to the vertical bag seal to access the RF cable run. Slowly and carefully pull the replacement RF through the small opening in the corner of the bag seals (where horizontal bag seal meets vertical bag seal). The RF cable bullet connector makes for a tight fit. Then slowly pull the replacement cable through the bottom of the bag seal – which is even tighter. It will be easier if the AC power cord anchor is removed ahead of time.

Several new photos have been added to my album and should help in understanding the steps involved.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...hRgSwjm3pFxhUg

Nice to have a working radio - again.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote