View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #15
Tampajohn

Default Thanks for the info. Just wish I knew this before I started towing.

Great Thread, Wish I had read it before. Might have saved me a couple transmissions. The Isuzu we are currently was rated at 4500 lbs towing capacity, but we found a lot of problems trying to tow in the mountains. I am currently on the third tranny in the 50K we have owned it due to towing, I am certain. We have probably towed 40K of the 50K that we have owned the Isuzu. I have had the transmission rebuilt twice and a cooler put in. Fortunately when we get home from this trip from California, it is still under warranty and I am going to have it checked. We will use it for a second car since we have a Dodge Durango Hemi waiting for us when we get home with 8950 Tow capacity. I thought we had plenty of towing capacity with the Isuzu, but found out different. By the time we loaded up for the 4 1/2 month trip that we are currently on, I am certain, we were at the limit. With family in Michigan and Los Angeles and us living in Florida, I know we will tow at least 15K per year and maybe more. As I discussed before, I am planning on purchasing an extended service play to cover the Durango. Transmissions get expensive as well as other parts when towing a vehicle. I bought the car for 6K and with 85K miles on it. Another $2500 for the warranty making $8500 total for 5 years which we plan on keeping it, makes a pretty cheap vehicle for towing. Car should worth a couple thousand after 5 years.

Anyway, I wish I was more educated on towing, but now I think I know the ropes. Thanks for the info. John

1500 miles until we pull in our driveway at home in Florida. Just pray the old girl holds up untill we get there. We are currently just north of Dallas and stopping at the dentist in Florence, SC. and then home.