View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Goodyear Travels

Duane, I would suggest that you spend some time reading what others have written about various tires using the forum's "search" function. We've kind of been conducting our own informal research by sharing our tire and road experiences and you can review what others have shared using the search function. The results are being compiled by one of our members who owns a tire/wheel shop. He, in my opinion, is our best and most informed tire source. But I'm not sure that he will ever say, definitively, that we should run one, particular tire. I expect that we'll end up with maybe 2 or 3 highly recommended tires based on our collective experiences. Personally, I switched to Maxxis (available from Discount Tire) which I run at 59 psi, instead of the recommended 65 psi. I run at slightly less than recommended pressure in order to soften the trailer's ride and still have plenty of load capacity for our 07 2720sl. Duane, you'll need to do careful research if you decide to follow something other than the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure. But the Maxxis is a 6 ply tire with a low failure rate and a very strong casing that is apparently well-recommended for desert/highway use. They have performed perfectly in my last 3 trips but that is all that I can share about Maxxis. Again, different TM folks will cast different votes and in the end --- you'll have to make the call. But your practice of constant monitoring of tire pressure and tire condition is probably your best insurance policy. Even after a short (4 or 5 day) stay at a campground --- I don't pull out without checking and adjusting tire pressure (and also lug nut torque after I replaced our 14 inch wheels with 15 inch).
It also never hurts to have an angel on each axle-end. Maybe that's why it blew "at the bottom of the twisties" ??? eric