View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
ThePair
TrailManor Master

My troubles are probably requirements slightly different from others'. I need to make sure the dog can safely navigate the same steps, so they need to be wide and deep. Two steps, each riser ~ 14-15" or so, much larger than a person would comfortably want. What I have works, but is a complete hassle, something folding and hinged would be preferred.

Initially I was considering just essentially having the top half of the door fold down 90 degrees, and there's the step. But with a taller mattress, suddenly I find the requirements changing. I've seen some pet steps that accordion out like countrygirl posted, but for dogs, but the dimensions are way too long for that space. One could almost imagine the door as two louvers, pivoting upward to form the steps, with supports similar to Bill's idea on the sides. Folding it down would have it flat in the door's place, which would simply replace the existing door, so it would store there as well. Lift the bottom to deploy, or flip it all the way up to access storage.

Hm. need to think some more... if only I could do metalwork...or any significant woodwork. I think this is doable.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote