View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
mtnguy

teamgentile, check the label on the the reciever....you might even have to crawl under the Pathfinder to find that. It should list a weight carrying capacity, and a weight distributing capacity. If the the 600/6000 numbers that you gave are a weight distibuting capacity, then the weight carrying is usually about 1/2 of that. On my F150, the weigth carrying numbers are 500/5000, and the weight distributing are 990/9900. I should not have towed my TM (tongue weight over 500 lbs.) without a WDH.

Which leads to another comment. You stated a 345 lb. tongue weight on the spec. sheet. I don't think that includes a battery, or full propane tanks. So add another 100 lbs. to that. You are not at 446 lbs. If you add a full tank of water, that is 240 lbs., but probably only about 75 lbs. or so transferred to the tongue. But what about gear you store anywhere forward of the axles. Hope you can see that you can get over 500 lbs. fairly easily.

Also, check the rear axle gross weight rating (RGWR). With a 480 lb. tongue weight (before I added a 2nd battery and fresh water), my rear axle weight increased 700 lbs. over the empty weight, and I lost 220 lbs. on my front axle.

Just want to throw my .02 worth in there with all of the excellent comments to your question.