View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Freedom -

How much effort is it to move your TM on that dolly? I ask because I bought that same 600 lb Harbor Freight dolly to use in moving my boat around. I figure that the boat, motor, trailer, etc, must weigh around 1600-1700 pounds. The ground is hard-packed dirt mixed with "crusher dust" rock particles, and there is a slight but definite slope in an unhandy direction.

So the boat weighs about half of what a TM weighs. And I can move it, so I have accomplished my goal - but Lord, it is a hard job!

However, I have to admit that the trailer axle is probably in the wrong spot, and the tongue weight is way too heavy. When I bought the boat, the trailer that came with it was much longer than it had to be, and it wouldn't fit in my boathouse. The dealer offered to shorten the trailer for me, and I think all he did was cut 4 feet off the back end and then weld the cross piece back onto the stub. So, do you think that excessive tongue weight would make it harder to move with the dolly?

Like you, I am way too cheap for one of those overpriced electrics, so the Harbor Freight dolly will have to do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote