Thread: Toyota 4Runner
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Excellent Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
It's rare that I have an opportunity to add anything to what Ray has said but an important point that hasn't been mentioned in this and other recent discussions so far is "rear-overhang" (distance from rear axle to hitch). Given two vehicles with the same wheel base, the one with the least distance from the rear axle to the hitch will be the most resistent to sway and probably the better TV.
Yes, rear overhang is a measurement I've been quasi-ignoring...in part because it's almost impossible to find out what it is for a given vehicle (not a normally published "spec"). And yes, it's very important...actually the ratio of wheelbase to rear overhang is the critical number as this ratio is an excellent indicator of how well the tow vehicle can resist trailer sway. This ratio is also the key factor in how much unweighting of the front suspension will occur when the trailer is hooked up without a WDH.

That all being said, rear overhang is typically about 3 feet for most mid size SUVs and about 4 feet for typical half ton pickups...and those are the approximate numbers I use when predicting the amount of front unweighting that has to be combatted by a WDH.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote