Thread: Toyota 4Runner
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default 3023, maybe 3124 if mostly flat terrain, 2720 series or 2619 if mostly mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
I have a similar question. I want to know what is the longest Trailmanor that you would be comfortable recommending me to tow. I have a 2003 4Runner with the 4.7 V-8, rear wheel drive, and 5 speed auto. My only towing experiences are towing 1) a 17 ft. fiberglas center console boat with a 115 hp. motor. I was traveling behind a friend pulling an identical boat with a 98 350 Tahoe and my TV combo was "faster" up the hills because of the gearing (IMHO). I was very comfortable even at the high speeds that my crazy friend drove. 2) When my son blew a head gasket on his extended cab 4X4 Toyota Tacoma, I pulled it on a Uhaul trailer. A sign on the trailer said the trailer weighed 2000 pounds. I estimate that the combo weighed 6000+. I was not comfortable with this over 45mph on a back road. The TV would pull it, and the TV would stop it, but I wasn't real sure which was in charge- the TV or trailer. I think that the 4Runner is rated to tow 6000 or 6500.
Secondly, what advantage if any is there in towing with a 5 over a 4 speed automatic?
The biggest limitation you will have is the relatively short (~110 inch) wheelbase. Therefore you shouldn't go over a 23 or 24 foot TM (3023 or 3124) and would have a substantially greater margin of control with a 20/19 foot (2720, 2720SL, 2720SD, 2619). If towing on mountain roads, you really should stay with the 2720 or 2619 models.

Tow Vehicle Wheelbase is the critical element in being able to control your trailer...especially on sharply curving mountain roads (particularly where the curve also involves a steep descent) and also when you have strong gusting crosswinds or you hit the bowwave coming off a semi (particularly in combination with a strong crosswind).

Your 4Runner's power train is basically the same as my Tundra's (except you have a 5 speed tranny) which means you will be able to tow at the speed limit even in the high and steep Rockies/Sierra.

Cobra500's answer regarding the advantage of the 5 speed is spot-on.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote