View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
ColoradoAl

Lightbulb TM Towing Problems

We took our new 2720SD out for the first time last week. I'm towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 with the big V8 and trailer package. We had absolutely no problems with the mountain passes, one was over 10K feet. I kept the speed at 60 MPH and below when the speed limit was 65 and 75 (on the interstate). I limited my speed because going faster led to the onset of a noticeable sway. The trailer was lightly loaded and so was the TV since we were out for a quick three day camping trip. I'm aware that it is recommended that the bulk of the weight should be concentrated in front of the trailer axle and that's where I stowed most of the things we carried inside the trailer. However, I had the dealer install a hitch on the rear of the trailer for my bike rack and I had two mountain bikes mounted there for this trip. I just occurred to me that that could be my problem.

As a greenhorn to the trailer world, I may have shot myself in the foot. I would appreciate any constructive advice on how to deal with this fine mess I may have gotten myself into. Most of what I've read on towing the TM suggests that the TM is a dream to tow with no sway.

I am overwhelmed by the large variety of anti-sway devices and weight-distributing hitches out there. They all seem to be designed for towing trailers much larger and heavier than the 2720SD. Moreover, reading through many of the posts found here, it seems like few TrailManor owners have encountered trailer sway and when they are loaded correctly they tow like there's nothing back there without the need for anti-sway devices and weight distributing hitches.

Any words of experience and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

ColoradoAl