View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
That is why I do not use the EZ Lube hubs.....I remove the hubs and clean, inspect, and regrease the bearings every other year. No other greasing in between. I know alot of folks use them, but it only takes once and then you all of a sudden have an unplanned brake job -- that is, if you realized what happened before you need to use your brakes. I use our TM every 1-2 months, however, so if you use your TM less frequently, that may not be a good approach.

Woody - I hope you know you can get those entire brake assemblies, complete with shoes, backing plate, and magnet all assembled, for ~$40 or so. They are a piece of cake to install. Remove the old ones by taking off 4 bolts, put the new ones on, and connect the wires. That's it. If those magnets have never been replaced, now's a good time to do them while you have everything apart.

Dave
spend most of our time saltwater fishing in the Gulf of Mexico on Fl west coast...never had a bearing or grease seal failure with the ez-lubes. The other boat we use is for flats fishing and doesnt have the ez-lubes. Did have a seal/bearing failure within one year, weld splatter where the seal rides. We had taken it back to the dealer for the 20 hour inspection and when I mentioned the excessive grease on the wheel, the seal that later failed, they said that was normal. I pull the bearing every year and repack by hand including the ez-lube. I also get the double lip/spring seals.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote