View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Clwpaddler

Default All I wanted to do was change the wheels!

I have been studing the posts on the forum in regards to upgrading the tires on my 2001 TM3023 from 14" to 15". Thanks to everyone who has posted in the past about this endeavour. Last Wednesday I stopped by my local metal dealer and purchased two 12" pieces of 2.5X2.5 square tubing with a 3/16ths wall thickness. Four grade eight bolts, washers and lock washers from the local bolt and screw distributor complete the parts for the trailer lift. I also ordered three wheels with a 2600 carrying capacity as well as 3 Maxxum 8008 tires load range D. This entire project was jumpstarted by the fact that after our first trip with the new to us TM3023 I found tread seperation on both 14" Carlisle tires when I got home.

Saturday I installed the lift with no problems at all (1.5 hours start to finish). I decided to grease the bearings since I had no idea when it was done by the previous owner. The right side went fine, with fresh grease replacing the old grease through the EZ Lube axle setup. The left was not so fine with alot of pumping and no grease showing. Off comes the hub and low and behold, the rear grease seal is shot and all my expensive grease is in the brakes.

Off to my local AutoZone and they have the bearings and grease seals for my Dexter axle. If you have to take it apart might as well replace everything with new.

Left side goes together like a charm. Now it's time for the right side and when I pull the right drum, off falls the primary brake shoe lining. Yep completely separated from the brake shoe. This is not how I saw this operation go in my mind. Now here I sit with two hubs ready to go with new bearings and grease seals. The tires and wheels are intransit and should arrive on Wednesday. Now its wait on the brakes parts before I can button this project up.

None of this has been difficult if you have a basic knowledge of wheels and brakes and basic tools. The most frustrating part is the ongoing problems that continue to pop up as I try to get the trailer back on its wheels and put away.

I gues it's better to find this out in the driveway than on the road.

Thanks to all who have gone this route before. Those of us who are new to this travel trailer get to learn from those who have delt with these problems in the past.

Woody