View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I could have tied the hot lead into both fan and fridge through that switch, I suppose. That much is pretty straightforward, I think, just by spicing the hot fan lead into the feed off of the switch.

Judging from your experience, then, there is no issue pulling the power for the fan off the fridge hot lead? The additional (albeit tiny) load doesn't detract from the fridge function? That's good to know.

I guess what I'm suggesting would take it one step further. As you point out, I could always turn on the fan from outside if I tied it together like you have. My thinking is that interior override may be desirable.

One downside of what I proposed above is that the fridge DC will always be on if the fan is on inside, unless I put in a diode (I think). Would a diode work to prevent reverse power to the fridge--I would think so.

I guess my next question, to you specifically, is, have you had trouble shutting off the fridge & fan when closed (like at a rest stop). Since the fan's no longer venting, I'd imagine a heat build-up...but if the fridge is off, then there's no additional heat being made. I thought having the fan run even with the DC element off sounded like the best way to minimize heat build-up and maximize the function of the fridge on the road, but maybe I'm overthinking this?
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote