View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
camperboy

Default Re:Anyone using a Jeep Liberty as a TM TV?

Certainly is is your right to try out the Liberty without a WD hitch. But I wouldn't. Here is why.

I tow a 1990 M-26 (3023) with a Ford Ranger. Without the WD hitch the front end is light. I can feel it in the steering and in the braking - fronts tend to lock way too easy, resulting in the antilock system engaging. I'd hate to be in a emergency situation without it. This past summer on the way to Maine I was nearly sideswiped but another SUV who was almost literally being pushed into us by a tractor trailer. I needed to swerve left (thank God that lane was empty so I had somewhere to go) and brake as hard as possible to avoid a collision. This happened on the highway at 60 MPH. I think the outcome would have been a real mess without the hitch.

I use the Equalizer brand which incorporates sway control, which may or may not be needed with the TM, but that' s another issue. I've been very happy with it. Should you have interest in it I'd suggest the 1000lb model.

I prefer for the front end to not rise at all. If it rises, then weight is being taken off the front wheels. See above for why that's bad. The hitch set-up instuctions say that the TV should squat equally front and back when the trailer is hitched. Admittedly mine squats more in the rear, but the front does take some of the weight.

Also, take a loot at Rocy Mtn Ray's recent posts about his Jeep Cherokee. Similar vehicle and he's got some great information posted. Ray has it right.

Hope some part of that ramble is helpful. Perhaps the dealer would let you try it with and without a WDH when you buy the TM.

Camperboy