View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBiker View Post
The dealer installed a 4-pin connector. I asked for the 7-pin and was told that would have to be provided by whomever installs the brake controller.
Bill's right, be sure your hitch receiver is rated for a weight Distributing Hitch and at least 500# of tongue weight. A trailer connector that connects the turn signals and brake lights to a flat four connector is commercially available, and that's probably what you have. You still need the 7 way connector and brake controller, but the wires in the flat-four are a good start, but you'll need 2 more wires (one to the brake controller that will mount under the dash, and one to a good strong 12v electrical supply). If your state does trailer inspections it's possible that you might also need a third wire into the 7 way connector for backup lights. You'll also need either a Tekonsha Prodigy or Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a Weight Distributing hitch. I've installed these myself, but it's easier to have the RV guys do it for you if you haven't had one before.

Do a search in this forum on "Odyssey" to find posts from owners with Honda Odyssey experience.

We've heard that Honda doesn't recommend a Weight Distributing Hitch, but no one has provided any reliable information as to how this could be a good idea for anybody trying to tow a TrailManor with a Honda Odyessy. I would even not tow my TrailManor home from the storage lot without one, because the undistributed tongue weight would unacceptably reduce the front axle weight. I believe you will find actual forum owner experience with the Honda Odyessy using a WDH to be helpful.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote