View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I like Gonzo's question: do you, or any member of your family, consider yourself "handy"? I'm not talking "master mechanic", but do you know which end of a screwdriver will stab your hand? Gonzo is also right about wood in the frame. The change from wood to aluminum happened in the upper shells, where most leaks (and hence the most danger of rot) occur. But the floor is still wood-framed.

I'm not particularly concerned with the A/C. Who knows why they replaced the control panel, but that is not a high failure item. If it works, that means that the cooling mechanism works and has not leaked its coolant away. You will of course ask to see it work when you get there - ask in advance if they can power it up at home. If not, you will want some solid assurance, and maybe a guarantee, that it works.

You can replace the sink in the bathroom if you choose to. Not very hard, and not very expensive. Or you can live with what's there.

The "silicone seals" probably refers to caulking. Recaulking is a time-consuming and annoying job, but it is not hard. There is lots of discussion here on the forum.

The "plastic edge bumpers" probably refers to the vertically-oriented trim pieces on the front shell, where the front wall meets the side wall. The factory does have replacements in stock, and you can buy them, but this is not a job I would recommend if you can avoid it. I agree with the owner - unless chunks are actually missing, it does not affect the use or safety, but any cracks should be sealed up with caulk to keep water out.

I do not understand what is meant by the seals leaking and collecting water under the front bed. I would ask for clarification of this, and photos illustrating exactly what parts are involved. Exactly where does the water collect, and how much? I disagree that this is a design flaw and a common problem - I don't think I've heard of it before.

On the other hand, the air leak around the rear bed is common. Many people deal with it with swimming pool noodles.

Final question that you may have answered earlier. What is your tow vehicle? Is it equipped with a seven-way electrical plug near the trailer hitch (NOT a four-way or five-way with an adapter!) Does it have an electric brake controller? You must not attempt to hook up and go without these two items.

I agree with Craig - go see it and make a fun trip of it. And by the way, a longer trailer is actually easier to back than a short one. Think of the big 18-wheeler trucks - a little short cab, and a 53-foot trailer. The short cab can maneuver around quickly, and push the trailer exactly where the driver wants it. You will learn with experience and practice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote