View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Front shell center latch support retrofit, second try

This is my second try at a retrofit of the support for my front shell center latch. The first image shows the torn end of the shell support bar, most of the way through hand-sawing the torn end off. I received the trailer with the holes torn that way. While removing the torn end, I cut at an angle to avoid nicking the torsion bar. The second image shows the 1/8 inch steel plate I fabricated to support the latch. The latch is attached to the back of this plate.

This version holds the latch in place reliably and is stronger than the Trailmanor design. On my next try, I'll make it neater and a bit shorter at the top, I'll add a second plate behind the bar to better distribute the force of the bolts over the bar and the underlying torsion rod, and I'll paint the plates and the support bar.

I have nothing against nylock nuts. It just happens that my hardware store didn't have any, not to mention any in stainless. They had stainless nuts with integral star lock-washers for the small fasteners, and wedge lock nuts for the large ones. I used Locktite blue on all fasteners. I should probably not be using washers under the wedge-lock nuts. I might try to find Nord-Lock fasteners for the next try.

Even if I eventually replace the shell support bar, I'll continue to use this plate design. It's stronger and more reliable than attaching the latch to the bar end, and it prevents damage to the support bar.

After installing this, we pulled the TM to Bullard's Bar (about 3 hours from Berkeley). We brought:
  • A Sea Eagle 14 foot inflatable white-water kayak
  • A Tower 10.4 foot inflatable stand-up paddle-board (SUP for short).
  • Three mountain bikes.
  • A telescope and tripod.
  • All of the usual camping stuff.
  • Three people, including my 6'3" 16-year-old CAP cadet Stanley, and Valerie and I, who are merely tall.
The SUP fit in one bag, the kayak and its paddles, seats, and accessories fit in 3, and all of that fit in the Trailmanor. The bikes rode on top of the Grand Cherokee, but I might try the rear hitch bracket on the Trailmanor and a hitch rack for two of them next time.

Everything worked perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160627_120902.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	13671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160706_171059.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	13672  
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote