View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
borgman

Default Re:Anyone using a GPS?

Another big advantage to having a GPS when enjoying out-of-doors recreation is the ability to record where you are when you find something real nice relative to your interests. I first encountered this as a professional geologist (and recreational rock hound) when the University I was teaching at (Univ. Wyoming) begin using GPS as a standard tool in field geology for recording locations of outcrops in the field notebook. At first, the GPS were quite expensive. But when they got down in price to a reasonable level, I purchased one for personal use in my recreation.

They are handy to mark a stretch of stream discovered to be good for flyfishing, the start of a good point of ascent for a mountain, hunting locations found when moving around cross country, and, of course, locations discovered to be good for lapidary and rock hobby material. Years later, you can return to the same spot by referencing your field notebook for the GPS coordinates.

This works even if time has changed the appearance of the area. An area in deep snow cover can look quite different than it does in the summer. Also, the ability to immediately find where your car is located relative to your position can be an actual lifesaver. We occasionally have hunters and outdoorsmen killed in sudden Wyoming winter storms, when they can't find their way back to their car in the abrupt "white-out" conditions that can arise rather suddenly in a snow storm when the wind is blowing hard.

All in all, I believe that a hand-held GPS is a good investment for anyone engaging in outdoor activities, for both fun and safety.

Best Wishes,
WyomingRockHound