View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #43
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default I did this one with slight modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmferg View Post
I did something similar to the OPs install. I decided to mount mine right under the forward torsion bars. There's a large slot in the frame rails where the torsion bars go through. I drilled two 1/4" holes through the bottom of the frame rails so I could run 1/4" bolts through the plastic post and the frame and place nylock nuts on top. There are 4 bolts total, 2 on either end supporting the plastic post. In the pictures you can see where I marked the hole locations on the outer frame rail.

For the cap, I installed an eye-bolt on the end and ran a couple of small bungee cords through it. There are small holes on 2 sides of the post where I slipped the hooks through and bent them over so they can't slip out.

Six 1/2" holes are drilled along the bottom of the post to allow for drainage.

I discovered that Lowes carries the 4.75" x 4.75" post with a 5" x 5" cap which has an insert to take up the extra space. This insert would need to be glued in place. Home Depot carries the 5" x 5" post with a 5" x 5" cap - no insert required. I went with the Home Depot 5 x 5 so I didn't need the insert and it also provides a little more space.

Attachment 4498 Attachment 4499 Attachment 4500
I also purchased the 5" x 5" plus caps from Home Depot. I cut it down to about 78" because I didn't want it sticking out to avoid any possible problems.

I then cut six holes in the bottom, fashioned my cap covers using mini bungee cords and some cup hooks I had on hand which I clamped closed to hold the bungee. Here's where my mod is very different from GMFERG's.

I tried to drill the holes into the steel frame. Didn't have the right drill bits or the strength to do so. So I got thinking....why couldn't I just use zip ties or ratcheting tiedown straps.

So off to the store I went. Bought some 36" 175# capacity indoor/outdoor zip ties for about $4. Also bought some fancy ratcheting tiedowns that hold up to 500#. Those cost $20.

Back home to see if it would work. First lined up the tube and propped it in place. Started with 1 36" zip tie. Cinched it nice and tight against the steel frame. Then I placed a second one, crisscrossing them for added strength. Worked great. THen went to the other side and did the same thing.

Secured it very tight. Decided to add a third zip tie just in case, but opted NOT to use the ratcheting tiedowns. Of course I will keep an eye on these and might need to replace them every year or two, but that was so much easier than drilling thru steel beam.

See attached PDF with pictures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Super Easy Sewer Hose Mod.pdf (727.2 KB, 276 views)

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote