View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #23
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
We had several leaks on our new 2009 TM. All were due to what appeared to be failures in the caulking. Several were hard to find as the actual entry point was some distance from where the water showed up inside. Finally recaulked all the roof /trim and exterior light seams ( after removing original lose caulk)and all is well. Used Dow 5200 marine sealant as it is more viscous and and remains more flexible than silicone. To find bad caulk joints, use a hair dryer on cool setting and direct air flow at caulk/ TM surface interface and look for movement of the caulk edge ( flapping). Dirt under the caulk will confirm a bad seal. A little recaulking from time to time is a small price for the benefits the TM offers.
If you use 3M 5200, I would suggest practicing with it a little before taking on the job.

I have been a sailboat owner for many, many years and I have used 5200 for many applications. I can tell you that, if used properly, it will be the last time that you will ever have to caulk.

A few things to remember. Make sure that your work surface is extremely clean. Wipe it down (carefully) with acetone on a rag (don't' pour acetone on the surface, it will melt the foam core if it gets inside). Use Mineral spirits for clean-up and keep your bead small.

3M 5200 takes 24 hours to skin, 3-5 days to set and 30-day + to cure. For best results, caulk when you will not be moving the trailer for at least 30-days.

If you ever have to remove 5200 (God help you) it is not easily removed. Hopefully, you won't have to. That stuff adheres like nothing you have ever seen before. I have places on my 1st yacht (which I am still in contact with the owner) that were caulked in 1983 and are still holding, even after that boat has been sailed around the world twice.