View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Jabart7

Default What is the latest thinking on TM tires?

I know this subject has been beat to death. I have spend way too many hours researching the subject without coming to a clear understanding of the cause of the TM blowout problem.
But it seems that larger tires and higher load ratings are a good insurance. Having said that it seems that since 2008 the failure rates of TT tires has almost went away. I base this on research on trailer forums of all kinds and on boat forums also. My local Discount tire store manager says that since the rash of failures before 2008 more tire manufacturing has been brought back to the US and the failure rates have been reduced significantly. Specifically he quoted Carlisle and Marathon.
So, I have decided to upgrade my 2619 to 15" tires in the 'D' load range. Now this brings up another can of worms because the heavier side wall will give a stiffer ride and create some trailer damage, especially if you take advantage of the extra PSI limits of the 'D' rated tires. Also this opens the door to which rims to purchase. At this time I feel safe to buy a rim rated at 2600# as that is the same limits as the ST225/75R/15 with 65# pressure. Also, there is some thought that if you run these tires at 50# you might not get the safety margin you expect.

What are your thoughts?
Jason