Thread: Bike Rack
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
I think if you run bungy cords from both bikes to the outside of the rear bumper you would be Ok with a rear mount. That will keep the bikes from doing the ole two step when you go over rough roads. JMHO
Bungees won't protect a rack from the stresses of being bounced on the back of a travel trailer.

Plan for the worst scenario. I had two motorcycles lashed down in the back of a 15000 lb toy hauler a few years ago. Outside of Baton Rouge we hit road construction. They had scraped the road bed without ramping the cut with asphalt. A flatbed trailer in front of me blew all its tires as it dropped off the pavement.

I panicked slowed my trailer with our Ford F350 dually. Didn't blow any tires, but when we got to our destination a 900 lb Nomad was leaning against the wall, still strapped in.

It's amazing how much movement occurs on trailers even on normal roads. I consider the receiver on the back of a TM to be an artifact of when they would hook two or three together and tow then to dealers. I suspect they lost a few that way...