View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I found this on the net and wondered if you all think it would work. I don't need it...just happened to run into the info:

Repairing RV plasticPosted by Russ and Tiña DeMaris Published in plastic repair Like the poor termite in the Shel Silverstein ditty sang,

“It’s plastic, good Lord, it’s plastic!

I know it ain’t no wood

And it can’t do me no good,

Because it’s plastic — and you can’t eat plastic,

Everything’s gonna be plastic by and by.”

And sure enough, seems like nearly everything is getting to be made of plastic. Plastic has its place, but it sure can be a headache for the RVer when a plastic part breaks and there’s no handy replacement. It would seem that there ought to be some good way of gluing broken plastic parts back together.

The first thing that comes to mind for many is good old super glue. We’ve found by bitter experience that most plastics just don’t respond to super glue. Some epoxies work–for some plastics. Read the label on the epoxy container first, and then be prepared for a mess. Sometimes a bit of sandpaper taken after the edges that are to be joined will help with an epoxy set.

Some swear by Amazing Household Goop, and the company touts its versatility. But beware, if you’re working with small repair areas, the big hole in the Goop tube can let a lot of goop out. It’s also somewhat flexible, which to us says if you have a part that needs to be solid, Goop might not be the choice.

We’ve stumbled onto a product from SureHold called “Plastic Surgery.” It’s a cyanoacrylate based adhesive, which may jog your memory to say, “Ah! Super glue!” Yep, it is fast acting like super glues, but unlike most of them, this one does stick to a broad range of plastics. Although we haven’t tried it yet, the stuff also claims to work on fiberglass.

What we’ve found to be really handy about Plastic Surgery is unlike the design of most super glue tubes, this one is good for multiple uses by design. The lid is equipped with a puncture tool which you simply poke down on first use. The tool stays right in the lid, so that after use it pokes back down the snoot of the tube, keeping it from gunking itself closed. With the lid open, project in hand, there’s an indented portion of the container where you squeeze, and the tube gives, allowing you to apply “just the right amount” of the adhesive to the work. Hold the pieces together tight for a few seconds (”5 - 15″ according the product card) and the work should hold. Slap the lid back on the tube and you’ve got plastic mender the next time you have need.

We bought ours in a small town hardware store for less than $2 for a 3 gram tube. Ace Hardware touts it on their web site, so it should be readily available nearly everywhere.
Attached Images

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote