View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
On our way back from South Dakota, we stopped at a CAT Scale and weighed the rig.

Actual:
Front = 2420

Drive = 3200

Trailer = 3460

Gross = 9080

Ratings:
Front = 2865 GAWR F

Drive = 3155 GAWR R

Trailer = 3500

GVWR = 5950

The good news is the trailer was full of fresh water, close to full on gray with a cooler full of frozen pheasants, winter clothes and will never have more weight at any time in the future.

We had to keep fresh water due to the cold weather (parks were not opening hydrants). I would not normally travel with gray but the valves were stuck. I have since learned how to remedy that situation.

The "drive" axle had three dogs (140#), tools, an extra hitch and a full propane tank. I can easily move more than 45# of weight to the trailer and by traveling without so much water (approx 450#) in the tanks we will be under the weight ratings. I will never have to travel with an extra propane tank again, another lesson learned.

Having these weights allows me to feel more at ease knowing how to distribute cargo in the future.

The WDH made a huge difference. Thanks for all the helpful information.

Thanks for posting your numbers. Another link tighter on the WDH would give you less in the rear and a better ride too (you can change the angle to get more purchase on the bars). But it looks very possible to be on the road still under your axle ratings and GVWR despite your heavily loaded trailer. This is all great news!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote