View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003, 06:05 AM   #32
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Fun TM projects...Where does it end?

I don't have one of the king size units, but I would like to point out an electrical safty feature built into the Trailmanors. FYI, my front roof Air Conditioner is hard wired to the breaker.

The "regular outlets" in the unit are protected by a GFI (Ground Fault Indicator) breaker. The Air Conditioner outlet is not.

You are inside an aluminum box that is grounded. If an appliance that is pluged into the GFI circuit shorts to its case, the GFI breaker will detect it, trip and protect you. If the same appliance is plugged into an adapter to fit the Air Conditioner outlet and shorts to its case, there is no provision to detect and prevent electrocution. Your body will provide the path to ground (trailor walls) when you handle the appliance and touch any metal surface inside the Trailmanor.

If the Air Conditioner shorts to ground, its breaker will trip and protct you because the Air Conditioner case is connected to ground unlike most of the small appliances that you would plug into an adapter strip.

My advice is not to adapt the Air Conditioner outlet for other use unless you are sure you know what you are doing. This falls under the catagory of: "Caution, There are no user serviceable parts inside. ----".
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote