View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
ED-n-KEL

I guess my first suggestion is for you to decide how you will use your TV.
You mention having a motorcycle so a PU sounds right for you.
Personally I like a van... many like SUVs, etc.
How many people will be with you? What type of gear?

I think I would first decide on the type of vehicle that you want/need, then go to capacity, and/or brand, especially if you're buying new and can configure the vehicle the way you want it.
Buying used can reap a great bargain, but you should be educated on what/how to look for on such things as engine type, tranny type, rear axle ratios, etc. These variables can change the TC of a given vehicle drastically.

I totally agree with what Bill was saying in that a bare minimum of 5000 lbs be the low end on the tow capacity. Personally I would shoot for something even higher if my main territory was going to be the mountains.
Keep in mind that you loose HP in your TV for every foot of elevation into the mountains. You can find yourself lacking upwards of 30-40% of your engine power at some of the higher elevations visited at some of the most popular NPs. If you attempt this with a V6 that's already marginal, you're going to be in trouble.

Diesel is the way to go for towing... no question about it... but personally I would never own one, so I accept the idea of paying more for the use of gas.
A small V8 through the right tranny and rear axle will surprise you on the MPG and the towing capacity.

Basically, make some decisions and do some homework as you are doing now before buying your TV.