View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
Tom-417

Default Bloopers Section

Here's one for the Blunder/Blooper/Goof-up section for the forum.

I ordered my prodigy brake controller but didn’t order the harness to match my vehicle, just trying to save a few bucks. After all, I worked with all kinds of weapons and their delivery systems in the Air Force. I should be able to hook up a brake controller that only has four wires. After mounting it to the dash, I first connected it (with fuse) to the battery and ground. Then I ran the brake wire to the Bargman connector, and did a great job hiding the wire. I saved the brake switch connection for last because it would be the easiest. Now the last time I changed a brake switch there were only two wires to it. To my great surprise this brake switch had ‘leventy-seven wires going everywhere. The wiring diagram must have looked like an overturned can of worms. I know the brake switch must talk to the computer before it will allow the gear shift to come out of park, but what do the other wires go to? Homeland security?

It was Saturday evening and the garage I normally use had long been closed for the weekend. After scratching my head for a few minutes I hit on a perfect solution. I would run another wire along-side the brake wire I had run earlier, and connect it to the vehicle’s brake light. Simple solution, but definitely in the genius category. Turning on the turn signal, I quickly found the brake wire and installation was finished. Calibrating the controller was the last task. And after the reassuring tug from the trailer, it was obvious the brakes were working. Yep, you got it. Every time my turn signal blinked, I felt the trailer’s tug. I was getting to be quite proficient at taking my tail-light out of the fender well by now. This time I got the DW to press on the brake pedal while I looked for the 'brake' light wire.