View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
All good stuff except

Where on earth did you read that? It's exactly wrong. Tires loaded near their rating overheat, and heat causes failures. Tires loaded well under their ratings run cool. When I first got my 15" Marathons, the first thing I noticed is that they run almost stone-cold - colder than the TV tires. The 14" Marathons ran quite warm (though not hot) under the same conditions.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I freely admit that my earlier stated post about heat in heavier tires was something I read but did not confirm since it seemed logical to me because more mass can absorb more energy in the form of heat which in turn must either be lost or retained. I didn't take it any further than that at the time.

Just now, I tried unsuccessfully to retrace my earlier steps to find the source, but I went to too many places when doing my research. I then did a Google search on "heat, heavy, trailer tires" and found just this one poster who appeared to be referring to an earlier statement (so at the very least, I am not alone in thinking that heavier constructed (more plies?) might generate more heat than a lighter constructed tire).

Quote:
... Not sure about the plys grinding together making heat, it is really just a matter of flex. Think of bending a coat hanger back and forth until it breaks, as you bend it it builds heat. Same with the tires, each time the sidewall flexes it makes heat, ....
http://tinyurl.com/4syyv3s

Not saying that what you posted is in any way wrong - and not even saying that this above quote is correct = or even that it makes a good case - just saying that I read somewhere that heavier constructed tires could mean some degree of extra heat.

Of course, what you posted is correct and especially so for most TM owners with trailers that have two tires carrying the load. For me, with four, Range C, ST215/75/r14 tires in tandem, rated at 1870 lbs each, and with a TM that is spec'd at 3520 lbs dry, while the danger from tire heat caused by overloading the trailer is a factor that must always be kept in mind, so also should underinflation, speeding too fast, and bad road conditions (pot holes, nails, heat, etc) be considered.

Thanks for the comment and the extra emphasis on looking at trailer weight loads per tire when making a purchase.