View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #17
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Tire Margins on 2619

[quote author=MikeD link=board=3;threadid=652;start=msg10942#msg10942 date=1069706406]
Given these concerns about the maximum load capacity of the axle/tires, how would you evaluate dealer added options, such as the 30lb propane tanks and Generac 3.5Kw generator being discussed in

What is the dealers responsibility when adding additional weight that may or may not be approved by the factory ??

Mike
[/quote]
I'm not sure if they have any legal obligations.

I personally feel they have both moral and ethical obligations to list (ideally placard) all dealer added equipment...both the total weight added and how it affects the placarded hitch weight. It sounds like Custom RV did this for OrangeKid's trailer...but then the additions had a huge effect on his hitch weight. But I doubt very few dealers are this conscientious about every addition, particularly if the weights involved are 100 lbs or less. When I had my dealer add an awning, even they didn't know how much it weighed...just that "it took two guys to lift it into place". My guess is that it's around 70 lbs...not a huge problem for me since it was installed on the curb (lighter) side of my TM. But I still would have liked an actual number.

The only real solution is to actually load your trailer and tow vehicle as you would for at a typical departure, then stop at a scale and get each axle of the entire rig measured in that configuration. If you're over weight on one axle or another, stuff has to be moved or removed. And if you're under the various limits, then you know exactly how more you can add for, say, a longer trip in the future.

The problem is dealers make more money by selling you as many accessories and options as they can. It is not in their interest to tell you that each option adds additional weight and that a fully optioned-out trailer has several hundred pounds less spare load carrying ability than the basic unit listed in the factory brochure.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote