View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 12:24 PM   #14
OrangeKid

Default Re:Tire Margins on 2619

What I am taking away from this thread is that RVrs need to have the weight on each wheel on their trailer (and perhaps on their TV) measured jas RockyMtnRay had done with the WDH in place and the trailer loaded for camping. A brochure from Goodyear on Marathon tires also suggests doing that.

The other thing I am taking away is that the RV industry is lax in buiding any margin into their campers and informing/educating the buyer as to the proper loading limits. For example the sticker inside the door of my TM does not account for the propane tanks or the batteries. Just about every camper has at least one of each.

With regard to the analogy with Dell Computer. The power supply of Dells is very consevatively rated (unlike the tires and axles on the TM). They are designed to support cards in all the slots. A 100 watt card would be an extreme example. I follow Dell forums closely and Dell power supplies essentially never fail. I have filled all he slots and bays in my Dells and never had a problem.

One place where there seems to be lots of margin in the TM is in the scissor jacks at each corner. They are rated at 5000 lbs each! The 2619 can sleep six. My guess is that 6 adults and all their camping equipment, food, water, and waste would exceed the rated weight limits of the TM. But when actually camping much of the weight is carried by the jacks, not the axle and tires.