View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Tire Margins on 2619

OrangeKid wrote
Quote:
An analogy to this is the Dell web site. It will not allow one to configure a computer with incompatible components. If Dell can do it why can't TM?
I don't think I was clear about my point. Both Dell and TM can (and do) build a unit that is proper when it leaves the factory, but neither Dell nor TM can control what the owner does with the unit after it leaves the factory. And that is where the problem arises.

To use your Dell example, I recently bought three Dell computers. Each came with a 250 watt power supply, and Dell made sure that 250 watts is sufficient power for whatever options I ordered from Dell. But each computer also has 3 expansion slots where I can plug in aftermarket cards, and Dell has no control over what I do with those. I might plug in a second Ethernet card, which takes only 2 watts of power, so everything is fine. But I might plug in an aftermarket video processor card which draws 100 watts. If I plug in this card, it will overload the power supply. The only way Dell could prevent me from doing this is to build the computer without any expansion space.
Seems to me that it is up to Dell to make the power supply information available to me (which they don't do very well), but it is up to me to use that info wisely.

The parallel with the TM weight issue is almost exact. TM provides a trailer that is adequate when it leaves the factory, including the 40-gallon water tank option. But they can't control what I put in the trailer after I get it. For example, there is expansion (storage) space for tools in the rear bumper. If I put a few screwdrivers and a pair of pliers in there, then everything is fine. But if I go to horse shows, and load that space up with blacksmith tools, then the result is overload. The only way TM could prevent it to build the trailer without any storage space.
As in the case of Dell, it is up to TM to make the weight information available to me (which they don't do very well), but it is up to me to use that info wisely. If I really think I need the blacksmith tools, then perhaps I can have them by travelling with the water tank empty - but that is my choice, not TM's. And TM can't do anything to prevent me from loading up both.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote