View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Tire Margins on 2619

[quote author=Denny_A link=board=3;threadid=652;start=msg10933#msg10933 date=1069656917]
Summary: 1. Dexter -- 3500 lbs max weight on the tires
2. TrailManor - 3700 lbs max weight on the tires.

I'll stick with the Dexter model, just to be SAFE!

Denny_A

[/quote]

Wow, Denny, that's excellent information. And to reinforce your recommendation, here's some additional data I got from having my rig weighed at an RV Safety Education Foundation weigh-in. The RVSEF weigh-ins use portable scales that provide the weight on each tire of your entire rig (hooked up and not hooked up)...not just the weights on each axle as you would get at a commercial scale.

I found out that my TM, when packed for a typical departure, had a weight of 1750 lbs on the streetside tire (off-door or driver-side). But the curbside tire was carrying only 1500 lbs...250 lbs less. The main reason for this large side to side difference was I had the fresh water tank, the hot water tank, and the refrigerator filled on that day. However, the toilet was only at min charge level and the grey water tank was empty.

Note that the total axle weight was 3250...250 lbs less than Dexter's limits and 450 lbs less than TM's limits. If I didn't know the weights on the individual wheels (e.g. had gotten the TM weighed at a commercial scale), I would have assumed that I could very safely add another 250 lbs of weight over the axles. If I loaded that weight symmetrically (easier said than done), that would put another 125 lbs on each tire. And that would bring my streetside tire weight up to 1875...almost the limit of that tire and 25 lbs over what even TM's engineer says you can put on each side of the trailer (3700 total or 1850 on each side).

Bottom line: Because it's pretty easy to have asymmetric loading between the two sides of the trailer, the prudent approach is to use the Dexter limit of 3500 lbs on the axle (and don't depart with more than the bare minimum water in your tanks). Then if you do have significant weight differences between the two sides, you probably still have some margin of safety remaining on the heavy side.

P.S. Here's the RVSEF's website: http://www.rvsafety.org/index.htm. I suggest everyone periodically monitor their weigh-in schedule and try to attend one of the weigh-ins.

Note: Edited to fix a math error (1750 + 125 = 1875, not 1850 as originally posted)
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote