Thread: New Truck!
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #28
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Don't forget that if the circumference (diameter) if the tire has changed then the speedometer is no longer accurate.

As I was reading this my first guess was P instead of LT tires. That one is a cheap no brainier.
The new tires are 1.4% smaller in diameter than the originals. So the speedo should give slightly higher readings than with the old tires, ... I think ... (it's late).

But to be honest I'm not sure how accurate the speedo was with the original tires.

I've been told that the speedo calibration can be changed internally by entering a new tire size into the truck's computer. But when I mentioned that to the dealer, all I got back was a blank stare. But these are the same people that insisted that the LT tires should be inflated to the same 35psi as the original P-metric tires, which would give them LESS weight carrying capacity than the originals.

When I switched tires, I also switched rims from 20" to 17" as 20" LT tires were *much* more expensive than the 17" (~$430 vs $250ea), and I couldn't get the LT version of the Michelin LTX MS/2's in a 20". Also I'd heard that the extra sidewall would provide some cushioning and pothole protection.